Scania 6x4 Rigid Long Crewcab L&B Fire Brigade Suport Unit

Any Fire and REscue Vehicle. Land, Sea or Air

Re: Scania 6x4 Rigid Long Crewcab L&B Fire Brigade Suport Un

Postby scania-alba » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Looking good, you've certainly no wasted any time in getting started. Took me about 2 months to get to that stage.
RHD Scania R620 with MFU viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1240
Irn Bru Semi Trailer viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2001
Pollock MAN TGX - XXL viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3183
scania-alba
Administrator

Postby JAY-CEE » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Lookin' real good, keep at it. :thumleft:
JAY-CEE

Postby forbesie2k » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 am

scania-alba wrote:Looking good, you've certainly no wasted any time in getting started. Took me about 2 months to get to that stage.

The build will slow down a little around the cab cutting stage.

I ended up using a scalpel blade turned on end and a toffee hammer. By tapping gently on the end of the blade it made a weakened edge. It was then a case of just applying a little pressure to make them pop out and using the blade to tidy up the window edges.

Been trying to sort out the design stage for the side doors that are on box at the back of the truck.

I think I may end up locking the gearbox in 1st of 2nd, freeing up a channel to enable me to use some motors with screw rods on them which would allow the side doors to open and close via the radio set.

It's either that or use winches and some model boat pulleys to simulate them opening and closing.
forbesie2k
Extreme Trucker

Postby forbesie2k » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 am

Hey everyone, thought I'd give you an update as to how I'm getting on.

I've cut the front cab on the left side and marked up the cut/join line where it will mate with the rear cab.

The cut is still needing cleaned up a little, but it was my first time trying this cotton thread cutting method. Its a bit of a lengthy process and you use a heck of a lot of thread on a big cut! :scratch: Not really sure if I like this method over the good old mini hand saw :scratch:viewtopic.php?f=3&p=11448#p11448

Follow my build - viewtopic.php?f=3&p=11448#p11448
forbesie2k
Extreme Trucker

Postby perry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:07 am

Looking good mate :D I too used the cotton thread technique, its good and its flexibility and effectivnes is great! but im looking at a cab that needs alot of tidying up ;) also the big confusion SIDE AIR DEFLECTOS ive been looking at it for ages and ages and ages and im now thinking that the whole deflector is the wrong size im not sure why im thinking this, just a hunch lol
perry
Trucking Expert

Postby forbesie2k » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:28 am

perry wrote:Looking good mate :D I too used the cotton thread technique, its good and its flexibility and effectivnes is great! but im looking at a cab that needs alot of tidying up ;) also the big confusion SIDE AIR DEFLECTOS ive been looking at it for ages and ages and ages and im now thinking that the whole deflector is the wrong size im not sure why im thinking this, just a hunch lol

Thanks Perry,

The vents need to be thinned on the front edge where they sit beside the front grill. You want to have about a 1-2mm gap the full length up and down the vent.

Due to the raising of the vents, the whole shape at the top changes, as it becomes a shorter body panel.

You need to bare in mind the difference between the old "p cab" design as I've found myself l
forbesie2k
Extreme Trucker

Postby perry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:14 am

Haha I sure do know what you mean, thats why I got that pic of the deflector ;) My cab is such a mess mate :( considering getting another! but im pretty sure I can save this one with some ptience haha!
perry
Trucking Expert

Postby forbesie2k » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 am

perry wrote:Haha I sure do know what you mean, thats why I got that pic of the deflector ;) My cab is such a mess mate :( considering getting another! but im pretty sure I can save this one with some ptience haha!

Post some pics up so I can see.

It cant be that bad!
forbesie2k
Extreme Trucker

Postby perry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:51 am

give us 2 mins and il have some photos for you!
perry
Trucking Expert

Postby perry » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 am

perry
Trucking Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Fire & Rescue Vehicles